In this blog, you will learn what information will sync and will not sync when you use Familysync in Family Tree Maker. We have mentioned a list of the information that will sync and will not sync, so you will learn. When you have multiple users, then FamilySync helps you a lot. Three users can keep uploading data, and that makes research easy.
Things Which Will Sync When You Use Familysync In Family Tree Maker: –
- Name of the People
Synced items and not synced items are below: –
FTM 2017 data does not sync up to Ancestry when you use family sync
- Private Information ( so do not keep information private)
- Source Media
- Saved Chart
- Person Links
- Color Coding
Ancestry data that does not sync to FTM 2017:
- Pages related to Military
- Results belonging to DNA
- Photo Tagging
- weblink – syncing may affect your weblink
- Original Uploader
- Documents type or Certificate type
- Name on headstone/Birth/Death/Cemetery Headstone
- Transcription of text
There are other changes that you must bear in mind with FamilySync in the family tree maker
- Paragraph breaks disappear
- a home person is not changed
- Media Linked to a Relationship
- Resolve Conflicts Dialogue
- New Person
- Picture of the person
- FTM’s tree and Ancestry.com’s tree have the same label of Dates, names, places, and descriptions.
- FTM & Ancestry handle source citations differently so there could be a difference in citations.
- Family Tree Maker allows a single citation to link to facts from multiple people. This means you can not put multiple citations.
- Ancestry, an online database, does not allow a single citation to a single person; therefore, you will need to be careful when you sync your information.
- When the FTM Tree is uploaded on ancestry, the tree on ancestry will replicate the citations that are shared with multiple people in FTM so that each person has their own citation on ancestry.com.
How to Prepare for FamilySync On Your Computer
The greater accomplishment of using FamilySync instead of TreeSync is a user no longer needs to break the links. It is because each Ancestry tree can link to many Family Tree Maker Trees. So, it is no longer required to break the old link to download a tree to a new device like a laptop or desktop.
When you use a family tree maker on multiple devices, then you need family sync. Say, for instance, if a user has a daughter and he/she wants his/her daughter to use the Family Tree Maker on a different device. There is no need to re-upload and download your FTM tree if it’s already linked to an Ancestry tree from one computer. That is going to be a hectic process and time-consuming and involves breaking the old link.
Moreover, by using the Family Sync instead of TreeSync, any change to an Ancestry tree, whether from your laptop or mobile device, will sync with your Family Tree Maker tree.
When a user installs the Family Tree Maker 2017 on a new device, he/she may think to break the old link and then download a fresh copy onto your new computer. It is hereby recommended not to do that, so do not break old links.
Don’t think of breaking that link to move your tree to a new device. You can, instead, make a backup on the old computer and move it to the new computer on a USB flash drive and restore it there.
The right way of doing it is to copy a backup (.ftmb file) to the other computer with a flash drive and restore it. Both copies will be linked to the same Ancestry tree.
In the end, both the tree will be linked to the same ancestry tree and you will be able to save a lot of time uploading the tree and then downloading it.
That’s what it is the FamilySync. Multiple devices. One Ancestry tree.