In Addition, we will discuss How to Restore trees from ancestry. If you have one or multiple trees on Ancestry and you want to restore them on your Family Tree Maker software, this article will help you out.
When your computer crashes and you do not have any backup of your family tree on any external media like thumb/flash drive, the tree you uploaded on Ancestry before the computer damage would come to your rescue.
There are two ways to Restore your uploaded tree from Ancestry:-
First, sign into your Ancestry account on your Family Tree Maker software and find all the uploaded trees on Ancestry. You can download the tree(s) directly from the Ancestry to it. But there are certain limitations. You can not download all the information from Ancestry.
Data That You Can Restore Tree From Ancestry To Family Tree Maker
|Facts (dates, places, descriptions)
Data That Is Not Viewable Online On Ancestry.com
Source information is entered in template fields that are not available on Ancestry.
Secondly, you can recover the data by creating a GEDCOM file. Let us discover more about the GEDCOM.
GEDCOM is a universally accepted file format for family tree files. GEDCOM files are text-only; pictures, charts, books, and related items from an original file do not include in a GEDCOM.
Crucial information like notes and sources are safe after conversion. To open a GEDCOM file on your computer, you will need software that reads GEDCOM files.
Ancestry.com uses GEDCOM (Genealogical Data Communications) files to download and upload family trees. If you are the owner of a family tree, only then you can create and download the tree.
Create A GEDCOM File
- On Ancestry, click on the Trees tab and select the tree for which you want to create a GEDCOM.
- Select Tree Settings from the tree name menu in the top-left corner.
- Click Export tree from the Tree Settings page.
- You will see a message saying, “Generating a GEDCOM file.”
- Select Save as, Save Target as, or Save Link As from the drop-down menu.
- Choose a location on your computer and click Save.
Problems Creating A GEDCOM File From Ancestry
GEDCOM file stuck at generating
While creating a GEDCOM file, it gets stuck and says the tree is generating for more than 15 minutes; you can try to refresh the page and try to create the GEDCOM file again. If you get the same message again, try to clear your cache and cookies and start all over.
How to clear your cache and cookies:
When you use Google Chrome, it saves information from websites in its cache and cookies. Once you are clearing them, it fixes certain problems, like loading or formatting issues on sites.
- On your computer, first open Google Chrome.
- Click on the three dots at the top right of the browser.
- You will find More tools and then Clear browsing data in the Menu.
- Next to “Cookies and other site data” and “Cached images and files,” check the boxes.
- Click Clear
The link or button does not work
While creating a GEDCOM from Ancestry, you might see that a link or button does not work after 30 seconds. In this case, too, you must clear your cache and cookies on the browser, and it must be fixed. If you need any help, you can contact us, Family Tree Maker Support, or you can call our Experts at +1-888-257-3335.