If you are looking forward to the solutions to uninstall FTM 2017 for Windows manually then you have definitely come across the best site. This blog will help you learn how to get the needful done in no time but for which you would need to read it through carefully.
How to manually uninstall FTM 2017 for Windows?
Well, before you begin with the process below you would need to make sure that you already have a copy of the Family Tree Maker installation disc of the downloaded installation file available with you, as it would be required.
Step1 – Uninstall Family Tree Maker
- You need to first hold down the ‘Windows Key’ and then press the ‘R’ key to open the ‘Run’ dialogue box.
- Next, you would need to type appwiz.cpl into the given box and then just click on the OK button; you should see the list of the installed programs appearing on your screen.
- After that, you will have to locate and select ‘Family Tree Maker’ in the list and then click on the ‘Uninstall’ button.
- You now need to follow the provided onscreen prompts to complete the uninstallation procedure.
Step2 – Removing the residual files
- When the standard uninstallation process has been completed you should click on the ‘Start’ button and then on the ‘Computer or File Explorer’ option.
- You should now navigate to the (C 🙂 drive and double-click on the ‘Program files’ folder (Program Files x86 for 32-bit versions).
- Then you must right-click on any folders that are labelled Family Tree Maker and then select the ‘Delete’ button.
Step3 – Removal of the Profile data
- Go to press ‘Windows key + R’ on your keyboard to open the ‘Run’ dialogue box.
- Now you should enter %localappdata% in the field given and then click on OK.
NOTE: You can also access the AppData folder by giving a click on the ‘Windows Start’ button that is in the taskbar and typing %localappdata% in the search box.
- Next, you will need to right-click on the folder that is label ‘The_Software_MacKiev_Comp’ and then click on the ‘Delete’ button in the context menu.
- Now when the ‘The_Software_MacKiev_Comp’ folder is remove you should open the ‘Isolate Storage’ folder.
- And then you must open the folder that is located within ‘IsolatedStorage’.
- Alternately, you should open the next folder that appears; you will see one or more folders labelled as ‘StrongName’.
- Now you must open the first of the ‘StrongName’ folders. However, if another ‘StrongName’ folder happens to appear within then you should click on the ‘Back Arrow’ option to go up one level and delete that ‘StrongName’ folder.
NOTE: In case you do not see a folder containing ‘StrongName’ then you should back up and delete a different ‘StrongName’ folder.
- You are now suppose to repeat this process with each ‘StrongName’ folder until all of the appropriate folder are delete.
- When you have finished with the process you just need to close this window.
Step4 – Remove the Registry data
NOTE: You should know that the following contains information on how to modify the registry. Hence before you start modifying the registry you must make sure that back it up. Furthermore, you must understand clearly how to restore the registry if any problem occurs.
- You will need to start by pressing the ‘Windows Key + R’ on your keyboard to open the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Then you need to type ‘Regedit’ in the field provided and then click on OK to open the Windows Registry Editor.
- After doing so, in the left-hand column, you got to expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER by giving a double click on it.
- You must now find and double-click on the ‘Software’ folder to expand it.
- Next, you should locate the folder called ‘Software MacKiev’ click on it, and then choose the ‘Delete’ button.
- Furthermore, in the left-hand column, you should double-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand it.
- You would also need to find and double-click on the Software folder to expand it.
- In case you are using a 64-bit version of Family Tree Maker, then you should expand the ‘Wow6432Node’ folder if not you can skip it.
- You now need to locate the folder name ‘Software MacKiev, then right-click on it and choose the ‘Delete’ option.
WARNING: You got to make sure that you only delete the folder labelled as ‘Software MacKiev’ and not any other entries. In case you delete the wrong entry by accident then you should restore it from a registry backup.
Step5 – Remove from the installed programs list
Now if FTM remains in the installed programs list even after you have performed a normal uninstall, then you should follow the mentioned steps to remove the entry.
- After you have completed the previous registry cleaning processes you will need to open the ‘Registry Editor’ again and navigate straight to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Uninstall.
NOTE: If you are using 64-bit versions, then you would need to locate and expand Wow6432Node first after this you will go for Microsoft.
- Now when you have expand the ‘Uninstall’ registry key, you should see a list of entries; each with a unique number that is enclose in brackets. One or more of these number entries contain the FTM data. You just need to highlight each entry one by one and then review the registry keys on the right side of the panel until you find the one with FTM just next to the ‘DisplayName’ section.
- After you are done locating the Family Tree Maker Display Name key then right right-click on the number entry on the left pane and then you just need to select the ‘Delete’ button that is in the appearing menu.
- At last, you just got to repeat the same process until all the registry entries for FTM have been remove.
We trust that you enjoyed going through this blog and that the steps provided helped get you to Uninstall FTM 2017 for Windows manually. Moreover, you should now be able to handle the same easily all by yourself the next time. However, in case you face any problems or have other concerns related then you can contact the Family Tree Support team of technicians at any time. And they will make sure to assist you accordingly with the most relevant and useful information.