Last updated on September 15th, 2022 at 08:55 am
In Addition, we will discuss Family Sync & Sync Error Report in Family Tree Maker Software. Need help? Contact our Family Tree Maker Experts Live chat.
Family Sync instead of Tree Sync is a feature on FTM 2017 & FTM 2019. It helps you to synchronize so that each Ancestry tree can now link to multiple FTM trees, so it is no longer necessary to break an old link to download a tree to a second computer. Or a third.
No problem if you have a laptop and a desktop and would like to take Family Tree Maker on the road with you. You can put your tree on both computers and synchronize them to the same Ancestry tree.
Yes, at the same time. So, you will be just one sync away after you return to your home.
Family Sync & Sync Error Report for FTM 2017 and FTM 2019
Sending a Family Sync & Sync Error Report or Sync Error Log will help Mackiev to decide exactly what is causing the issue you are experiencing when using Family Sync.
The Family Sync Report dialog automates the sending of sync error reports; these reports get examined by Mackiev engineers for diagnostic purposes.
If you have repeat sync failures, send a sync error report using the instructions below, then visit Mackiev Chat Support to get further help.
How do you generate and send a Sync Error Report for FTM 2017 or 2019?
This article describes three ways to gather and send the sync error information.
- Using the Family Sync Report dialog
- Gathering the Sync Reports Manually (Windows)
- Collecting the Sync Reports Manually (Mac)
Using the Family Sync Report dialog
The easiest way to generate and send a Sync Error Report is by the Family Sync Report dialog. This creates a report and sends it to the Mackie Support team automatically.
You can access the dialog in two ways:
- The Family Sync Report dialog will open automatically if an error occurs while synchronizing. Enter your name and email address and click the Send Sync Report.
- You can open the dialog anytime by choosing Send Sync Error Report from the Help.
In the box, enter your name and email address, select a Time Range option, add a description of the problem, and click the Send Sync Report button. If you are unsure of the period you should choose from the Time Range drop-down list, follow these recommendations:
- Most Recent: If a sync error occurred during your current or most recent sync.
- Last 1 Hour, Last 12 Hours, Last 24 Hours: If a sync error occurred during the period of the Last 1 Hour, Last 12 Hours, and Last 24 Hours.
- All Logs: If you are regularly experiencing sync errors and would like to send a comprehensive report that includes all the sync logs on your computer.
Gathering the Sync Reports Manually – Windows
Suppose you cannot use the automated Family Sync Report described above. In that case, a workaround will allow you to gather the sync information from your computer manually and send it to us.
These are the steps you can follow:
- Press the Windows logo key + R simultaneously on your keyboard to open File Explorer or Windows Explorer.
- Type or copy and paste %TEMP% in the address field in the Explorer window, as shown in the screenshot below, and then press the Enter key: In the list of folders that appears, find the FTMfolder and double-click it to open it.
- In the FTMfolder, find all the files that mark “compressed (zipped) Folder” in the Type column:
- Send all the ZIP files from the FTMfolder to Mackiev Chat using the online upload page. If there are ZIP files, you need to upload them one by one.
If any of the ZIP files exceeds 100 MB, upload all of them to Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive. Then send them the link in reply to the email you received from them.
Below are instructions on how to share files:
- Dropbox– click here to see the instructions for uploading files, and click here to see the instructions for sharing files.
- Google Drive– click here to see the instructions for uploading files, and click here to see the instructions for sharing files.
- OneDrive– click here to see the instructions for uploading files, and click here to see the instructions for sharing files.
Gathering the Sync Reports Manually – macOS
If you cannot use the automated Family Sync Report, you can manually gather the sync information from your computer and send it to them.
Follow the given steps:
- Find Family Tree Maker 2019 or FTM 2019 in the Applications
- Control-click the application and select Show Package Contents from the shortcut menu.
- Navigate to the following location: Contents/Frameworks/FTMSync.framework/Versions/A/Helpers
- Double-click the FTM Sync Error Reporting application to launch it.
- In a new window that opens, choose the tree in question, and click Create Report.
- Choose the location for the archive and click Save.
- Send the saved archive using our online upload page (click here).
- To add a file to the upload page, drag it directly from the FTM folder in File Explorer and drop it on Browse.
If there are archive files, you will need to upload them one by one.
If any of the archive files exceeds 100 MB (megabytes), please upload all of them to Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive. Then send the link to the email you received from Mackiev Chat.
For instructions on how to share files on the free hosting websites mentioned above, please follow these links:
You can Contact our Family Tree Maker Support Number to get your issue resolved. In Addition, we provide phone support 24×7. Family Tree Maker Support’s number is +1-888-299-3207. So, you can call for help.
Quick Read:- How To Create a Tree from FamilySearch in FTM 2019