This article tells you how to move your FTM Source Tree Between Two Computers using a USB flash drive. To successfully transfer your tree file from one computer to another, you must have FTM 2019 installed on both computers. In addition, to move your file, you must have a removable storage device (such as a thumb or flash drive or an external hard drive).
Alternatively, you can transfer it through a computer network or cloud stohttps://familytreemakersupport.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=w3tc_feature_showcase&_wpnonce=ac2e4cb6a1rage. However, using a USB flash drive is the easiest way to share a tree from one computer to another. If you do not have one, it may be worth your time to buy it and continue with the steps below.
Move your FTM Source Tree Between Two Computers:- On the first computer.
- Open FTM 2019 on the computer with your current FTM tree.
- Take a complete backup of your FTM Source tree.
- Go to “File” and click on “Backup.”
- If you want a new name to distinguish your file from your original tree, type a new name in the Backup file name.
- Select one of these backup locations.
- DVD or flash drive: Select Removable media.
- In the drop-down list, choose your DVD drive or flash drive.
- Hard disk: Select the Working directory to save the backup file to the Family Tree Maker folder in your Documents folder.
- Custom directory and click Change to select a new location for storing the backup on your hard disk.
- Media files checkbox to include all media items from the tree’s media folder.
- Historical events checkbox to include events you have created or edited for timelines.
- Select the Web Favorite checkbox to include all the web addresses you have added to the Manage Favourites list on the Web Search workspace.
- Click Backup. You will get a notification saying the tree is back up successfully.
- Go to the location of the backup file you have created and copy the file to your flash drive.
- Make a full manual backup of your tree more often. An up-to-date full backup ensures that you can restore your tree if something unexpectedly goes wrong with your current file.
- It is also a good habit to store full backups of your trees outside your computer regularly.
- Unplug your flash drive from the first computer.
On the second computer:
- Insert the flash drive into an available USB port on the second computer to which you want to transfer your FTM tree.
- Copy the backup file to your second computer’s hard disk before you go ahead with the File Restore.
- Open FTM 2019, click the File menu and choose Restore.
- In the dialogue that appears, navigate to the location where you saved the backup file, select the file, and then click Open.
- The Save dialog opens. Select the location on your hard disk where your tree is.
- Then click the Save button to restore your tree from the backup. The restored tree opens in Family Tree Maker®.
Update your TreeVault Antenna tree on the second computer:
- Make sure you log in to the same TreeVault account you used when creating the Antenna tree on the first computer.
- Choose View > Tree Browser or click the Select Tree pop-up menu on the left of the main toolbar and then click Tree Browser.
- The Tree Browser window appears.
- In the Tree Browser window, select TreeVault on the left and click Next in the window’s bottom-right corner.
- Click the Find FTM Tree button.
- Select your tree in the Results for FTM Source Tree column.
- Your tree is linked to the Antenna tree and becomes the FTM tree.
- Where does Family Tree Maker save files?
The default folder is Family Tree Maker, and this folder saves in documents.
- How do backup family tree makers?
First, click the file tab and then click on backup or export.
- What is a family tree maker, Broderbund?
Broderbund purchased a family tree maker in 1995.
- Can I install Family Tree Maker on a Chromebook?
No, Family Tree Maker can be installed on Windows and Mac.
- Can I import data from Family Tree Maker 2009 to 2019?
Yes, it is possible.
- Does MacKiev still provide a Family Tree Maker flash drive?
Yes, they do. You can order from MacKiev.
- What are the family tree maker troubleshooting steps to fix sync errors?
Please read our blog to fix sync errors.
If you cannot move your FTM Source Tree Between Two Computers, visit our website, Family Tree Maker Support, or Read the blog. If you need any help, you can Chat with our Experts.
Quick Read:- Refund Policy | Family Tree Maker Support